I’ve been creating Youtube videos for a month now, since November 8th, 2021. They have been vlogs of 2-10 minutes in length. Here are my observations after 1 month in it.
I’ve wanted to try creating videos on Youtube for some time, but never did. I feel like it’s something I’d be good at if I learned how to do it.
What’s my current objective?
My objective is to create as much as possible as quickly as possible (1 video a day through 2021). With each video I want to improve slightly or experiment with something new. At this point it’s all about learning the ropes, trying things and finding what works.
The biggest things that held me up from starting were:
- Fear of putting myself out there
- Fear of creating something that’s not good. I wanted to spend the time to learn how to do it before doing it, but I never made the time to learn how to do it.
What I’ve learned
- It is not difficult to film a video and upload it to Youtube. All you need is a phone and access to the internet. After that you just need to hit record, say some stuff and upload it. It won’t be good at the start, but making something is the first step to making something good.
- I learn something new with every video I make, whether it’s how to edit a little bit better, what to say, where to put the camera, when to film, etc.
- ‘Learning by doing’ is a real thing. I haven’t looked up a single video about how to get better and already I’ve improved so much.
- Technical challenges become less and less with each video
- It becomes more a challenge of subject matter. What do I want to say and how do I want to express it across the camera. In order to come across as high-energy or friendly over the camera I need to be over the top.
- Getting comfortable on camera takes repetition. Acting like you’re talking to a specific friend in your life helps.
- Even making a 4-minute video is an hour commitment after planning, filming, editing, creating the thumbnail and publishing.
What I’ve Learned
- The time consumed by creating a video every day is hard. I have a full-time job, so everything I do I have to do in the evenings after work.
- Not every video will be good. In fact right now they’re all bad. However, I’m proud of them. The creation is rewarding. I find myself watching stuff differently, looking for tricks to make my videos more interesting.
- The content creation thing is fragile right now. Harsh feedback would be very detrimental to my creation right now. I need to find a way to steel myself against that in the future.
- I have no intentions of stopping. I will slow down after the New Year. I work as a project manager, so I know I can figure out the right plan to optimize my output for quality and for impact.
- I can’t wait to see what the future holds.
✌️& 💜. Thanks for reading.
Written while listening 🎧 to lofi girl.